You can add products to your online store via thepage in the admin panel. In this article you'll learn about adding products and other functions that are associated with the product form.
Before adding products to your online store, think what kind of product is in question:
- Does the product have different models whose stock balances should be added separately (e.g. clothing sizes and colors)? In the case of such products, you may want to create product variations.
- Does the product have changing properties that do not have to be accounted for in the warehouse (e.g. T-shirts with prints that the customers can select themselves)? If that is the case, you may want to use customizations.
- Is the product completely digital? Does it contain downloadable files? If the answer to any of these questions is yes, check out downloadable products.
To add and edit products:
- To add a new product, go to the admin panel's and, in the upper left corner, click Add product. page
- To edit an already existing product, on the menu, click the Edit product link. page via the product's
The menu becomes visible when you hold the pointer over the product row.
- Fill in the product form.
- Save the product.
After saving the product, you'll be redirected to the admin panel's product card with the product summary and selected product settings.
Product visibility in search
If you use the Free plan, the newly created product will immediately become visible in search results in the customer area.
In the paid plans, products are indexed by the search engine during the night, once every 24 hours. This means that the product may not immediately appear in the online store's search results.
The product form's fields
In this section, you'll learn about the product form's fields and the details entered into them.
Payment method basic information
- Product name: give the product a descriptive name. Note that the first thing visitors usually see about the product is its name and image. In the name, use the relevant keywords, bearing in mind search engine optimization, but don't let the name be too long.
Show in version: select the store and language versions in which the product should be visible.
You must select at least one version for the product to be visible in your online store.
Make sure that you write the content text in all languages that you select at this stage.
Selling price: enter the product's selling price including taxes. Also select the tax rate.
The available tax rates are defined based on your online store's country of operation. You can select the desired country of operation in your online store's settings, on the page Settings » General settings.
If you are registered for tax purposes in another EU country or the United Kingdom and have notified our customer service about it, the country's tax rates will automatically apply to order products if the order's recipient is an individual residing in that country.
- Weight: enter the product's weight, and select the package size used to deliver the product.
Make sure that you indicate the correct weight as the order shipping costs are calculated based on the order products' weight. Find out more about shipping methods ›
Review your store's shipping methods and ensure that at least some of them have weight limits and package sizes compatible with the new product. Otherwise, your customers won't see any shipping methods at the checkout when purchasing the product.
- Product image: as an option, you can also add a product image. When creating the product, you can upload one image first and add more images later.
After uploading the file, you'll see the image preview.
You can also add the product to any of the active campaigns directly from the product form:
- Select the campaign in the Pricing section.
- Enter the product's selling price in the campaign.
To define the product's price according to the campaign's discount, review the campaign's products after saving the product.
- Click .
Description & product information
- Description: provide a short and easy-to-read description in which you'll include the most important information about the product.
- Product information: provide a more in-depth description with detailed information about the product's properties and use. Organize the text by using subheadings and other styles. Also be sure to use related keywords in order to optimize the description for search engines.
- Detailed product information helps customers decide whether to purchase the product. Additionally, a well-written description helps the page to rank higher in Google search results.
- Keywords: enter a list of keywords describing the product. Separate keywords with commas or spaces.
- Define a moderate number of keywords that can generally apply to your store's products.
- The keywords will be used in your online store's internal search engine, so you may want to think about which keywords your customers are most likely to use when looking for your products. Keywords do not influence your online store's visibility in web search engines.
Purchasing price, product numbers & suppliers information
- Warranty period: where relevant, indicate the product's warranty period in months.
- Limited availability: if the product is not always available, define its limited availability period.
After the defined period is over, purchasing the product will no longer be possible.
If you'd like the product to be automatically hidden at this point, this can be implemented by modifying the layout theme.
- Set visible from: set the precise time at which the product should become visible (but not available for purchase) in your online store.
- Set purchasable from: set the precise time at which the product should become available for purchase in your online store. If you've defined an end date for a Limited availability item, the product's availability will end on that day at midnight.
- Order limit: the minimum and maximum quantities that the customer must observe while placing an order.
The order limit also applies to variations. For instance, if the maximum order quantity for a product with variations is three, and the customer orders three different variations of the same product, the limit is reached.
The order limit does not apply to product bundle products. So a customer can order an amount that exceeds the purchase limit, if the product belongs to bundles in the same order.
- Purchase price: the supplier price that you paid when purchasing the product. Indicate the price excluding taxes. The purchase price is the basis for calculating the product's margin in reports and the overview.
Product code: the product code is used mainly to identify the product when transferring data between MyCashflow and other software (e.g. when using extensions for financial administration software). If you create product variations, make sure that you provide a unique product code for each variation.
Make sure that product codes are unique
If multiple products or variations have the same product code, errors are bound to occur during data transfer between systems.
Do not use the same product codes for products and variations. Even if duplicate product codes do not result in any errors, they will make it more difficult to manage the products.
- Supplier and supplier's product code: add a new supplier by clicking the add supplier link and entering the supplier's name in the text field.
Search engine optimization
If you've enabled the Web Designer extension, you'll also see the section Template file in the form, where you can select a custom template (if available in your online store's theme) for the page.